The City of Hagåtña or Agana, Guam http://ns.gov.gu


Photo of Agana

Since time immemorial, Hagåtña or Agana has been the seat of government on Guam. Guam is also called Guahan {we have} in the language of the Chamoru People. The taotao tano' {people of the isle} have named areas on Guam to correspond to parts of the human body. Our own Chamorro legends tell of Fu'una who used the parts of her dying brother's body to create the world. His eyes were the sun and the moon, his eyebrows were rainbows, his chest the sky and his back the earth. She then turned herself into a rock, from which all humans originated. Agana {or Hagåtña} means blood. It is the life-blood of a larger body called Guahan or Guam. Hagåtña is the life-blood venue for government.

Fort Santa Agueda {also known as Fort Apugan or Fort Kasamata} built in the 1800, affords a splendid view of Hagåtña and Hagåtña Bay. Government House (as seen in the photo), is the official residence of Guam's Governor and is adjacent to the fort's sprawling grounds. Guam's Unicameral Legislature of 15 elected senators is also situated in Hagåtña.

As early as 500 A.D. ancient Chamorros {taotao mona (people before history)} have built their houses on Guam Poet Cecilia Perez among latte stonesstone pillars known as latte stones and have buried the ancients under their homes. The ancient foundation monoliths found in Hagåtña links the present maga'lahis (governors) to the leaders of the past. basilica church

The history and natural beauty of Guam offer numerous sights of interest. The graceful remains of Spanish buildings, plazas, bridges, and the Site which the Seal of Guam was patterned after, may be seen in Hagåtña.

Agana is also the site of the Dulce Nombre de Maria Basilica from which Archbishop Anthony Apuron guides the Catholic churches on Guam.

Other sites to visit are quipuha statue the Chief Quipuha statue {Kepuha's legacy and the Spanish Chamorro War also called the reduccion from 16 June 1668 which ended at the final battle of Aguihan in July 1695 } adjacent to the boat basin, the statue of liberty, Plaza de Espana {its ruins were once the Spanish Governor's Palace}, Guam Museum {displays artifacts from the various periods of Guam's history as well as specimens of natural history and island handicrafts} and the new Sagan Dinana' or the new Agana Chamorro Village known also as the Farmer's market.





|Back to Ultimate Guam site|